Saturday, January 9, 2016

Fitness Progress 8

Progress on Goals:
1. Run a hilly mile in 8 minutes with HR in a good range.
---Done! It was 7:58 actually, haha! Close, but I did it!
2. Make a meal prep menu.
---Done! I need to make more options to switch things up, but for now I have one I can work with each day.
3. Target transverse abs 4 times a week.
---Eh... I think I've been doing it usually 3 times a week, but I have been really conscious about target and strengthening my overall core during other exercises.
4. Do 20 burpees in a row.
---Done.  To be honest, I probably could have done more, but stopping at 20 was good with me. ;)
5. Get up the canyons for a hike in the snow!
 ---Done, kind of. When we went to Sedona, we did a few hikes and there was snow!

I've been consistent in the gym and have been mostly good about my diet.  I am incorporating ideas of IIFYM, carb-cycling, and clean eating all into one.  It has been good to me so far.

I have been trying to find a good balance between muscle-building and increasing my cardio endurance. I think I've found something that will work for me.  I will be doing the Push-Pull-Legs kind of training.  This is where you dedicate a day each to upper body push movements,  upper body pull movements, and legs.  I do 3 exercises per day.  The same ones every week.  I do 5 sets of 5 reps, so I lift pretty heavy compared to my 10 rep exercises.  Every week, the goal is to increase the weight by 5 pounds on each exercise. Because of the high volume exercise, it is important for each muscle group to recover fully, so only 3 days of heavy lifting per week.  Then add cardio and stretching in between for a schedule that looks something like this:
Day 1: Push
Day 2: Cardio
Day 3: Pull
Day 4: Cardio
Day 5: Legs
Day 6: Yoga/Abs
Day 7: Rest

I did okay on vacation.  I tried to make smart choices, but definitely didn't turn down the opportunity to indulge in treats, like gelato! Came back and got right back into the groove.


New Goals:
1. Do the Push-Pull-Legs type of training.
2. Keep nutrition on point!
3. Run 3 miles without stopping.
4. Take more progress photos. Weekly?
5. Try skiing!

No comments:

Post a Comment